site: 136 North 10th Street
area of mural for detail
Santa Paula Artists and Architects
Since the 1890s, Santa Paula has been home
to many talented artists and architects whose works and presence
have enriched not only our community, but the state and nation as
well. Among the outstanding artists, are Jessie Arms Botke and her
husband Cornelis Botke, whose works are featured in the Smithsonian.
Jessie became known as a decorative painter who concentrated on
exotic bird paintings with gold leaf applications, whereas Cornelis,
an accomplished oil painter and etcher, focused on landscapes and
still lifes. The two artists collaborated on several murals as well.
Contemporaries of the Botkes were Douglas Shively,
who specialized in local landscapes and became fondly known as Mr.
Sycamore. Robert Clunie, also a plein air painter, became known for
his paintings of the Sierras where he would travel and set up his
easel in the rugged backcountry near Bishop where he eventually
retired. Photographer Horace Bristol attained national recognition
for his Depression era photos where he worked for Life Magazine
documenting the conditions of migrant workers along with John
Santa Paula's first architect/builder was Herman Anlauf who designed the landmark Faulkner House in 1894 with
Franklin Ward. The first licensed architect to come to Santa Paula
in the teens was Roy C. Wilson, whose firm spanned over fifty years
and was the most prolific in Ventura County. Many architects got
their start here including Robert Raymond and John Stroh. Raymond
became best known for the Masonic Lodge built in 1930 and John Stroh
for his design of St. Sebastian's Church in 1951.